Sunday, June 28, 2009

Machine Dreams Summer 2009


Machine Dreams - Exhibition Summer 2009
Machine Dreams - Symposium keynote Speaker Summer 2009

Lecture Notes

System and I

Its ironic that a person such as myself took the path of higher education.
As a high school student I missed most of my school days because I was in fact
a truant. I was a falconer for much of my youth, and assuch I had no interest in conventional education paths and procedures.

I would say that I essentially am self taught when it comes to art and design( especially computers and software) I also understand that for people of my age this is relatively common. ( Around 50 years old )

The advantages of this process are autonomy, a high chance of accidental discovery and a feeling of self sufficiency and achievement if all goes well.

The disadvantages are many, ranging from the huge amount of time ( comparatively speaking ) in learning new techniques and procedures by researching oneself and also the increased possibility of absolute failure and resulting despondence.

I have only experienced full time education as a teacher here in Seoul. What I have seen is basically that people in higher education have a desire to be professional at the expense of creativity and individualism. As you know being creative means taking risks that more often than not result in failure. In the case of being seen as an
individual I can see that there are many complexities associated with this.

" Want to be part of the modern scientific and industrial complex in a meaning full way? Get yourself a PHD! " James Burke

Exhibition
The work is about the generative systems and algorithms of modern networks and telecommunications. These three factors are primary influencers of our present and future condition, politically and technologically. Terrorism ( human, political- the mobile transcoder remote bomb device ) oil ( organic, elemental – the generative algoryth of flow ) and Telecommunication ( science, the universe as a mathematical construct – the interaction with the mobile telecommunication network. The collision and interaction of these three elements literally “ generates “ the installation.

You the viewer can partly influence the machine in direction by kick starting the generative process.

No comments: